The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is threatening the premium cigar industry and its thousands of small businesses, employees, and enthusiasts, but certain members of the House of Representatives are taking a stand.
Congresswoman Kathy Castor (D-FL) recently introduced a bill “To amend the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act to clarify the Food and Drug Administration’s jurisdiction over certain tobacco products, and to protect jobs and small businesses involved in the sale, manufacturing, and distribution of traditional and premium cigars” (H.R. 1854). This legislation is supported by a list of 35 bi-partisan co-sponsors. IPCPR supports this legislation along with the Senate premium cigar exemption bill S.9.
In order to pass, H.R. 1854 the House of Representatives needs to hear from you and the thousands of cigar industry employees, small business owners, and enthusiasts across the country. Our strength is in numbers and we can have a significant impact. Make sure that you edit and personalize the message mentioning your connection to premium cigars. Personal stories matter. How many people does your cigar shop employ? When did you enjoy your first premium cigar with a friend or family member?
Take a few moments and send a message to Congress in support of H.R. 1854 today!
NOTE: this legislation is currently being considered by Members of the House Energy & Commerce Committee. If you live or operate a retail store in a district of a Member of the House Energy & Commerce Committee, it is critical that you send a message promptly to urge action on this bill.
- Rep. Posey, Bill [R-FL-8]
- Rep. Kelly, Mike [R-PA-16]
- Rep. Luetkemeyer, Blaine [R-MO-3]
- Rep. Courtney, Joe [D-CT-2]
- Rep. Holding, George [R-NC-2]
- Rep. Schrader, Kurt [D-OR-5]
- Rep. Crist, Charlie [D-FL-13]
- Rep. Calvert, Ken [R-CA-42]
- Rep. Titus, Dina [D-NV-1]
- Rep. Budd, Ted [R-NC-13]
- Rep. Rooney, Francis [R-FL-19]
- Rep. Young, Don [R-AK-At Large]
- Rep. Bilirakis, Gus M. [R-FL-12]
- Rep. Emmer, Tom [R-MN-6]
- Rep. Sensenbrenner, F. James, Jr. [R-WI-5]
- Rep. Reschenthaler, Guy [R-PA-14]
- Rep. Harris, Andy [R-MD-1]
- Rep. Womack, Steve [R-AR-3]
- Rep. Mast, Brian J. [R-FL-18]
- Rep. Hunter, Duncan D. [R-CA-50]
- Rep. Williams, Roger [R-TX-25]
- Rep. Turner, Michael R. [R-OH-10]
- Rep. Murphy, Stephanie N. [D-FL-7]
- Rep. Diaz-Balart, Mario [R-FL-25]
- Rep. Babin, Brian [R-TX-36]
- Rep. Huizenga, Bill [R-MI-2]
- Rep. Cardenas, Tony [D-CA-29]
- Rep. Bishop, Sanford D., Jr. [D-GA-2]
- Rep. Mooney, Alexander X. [R-WV-2]
- Rep. Hagedorn, Jim [R-MN-1]
- Rep. Katko, John [R-NY-24]
- Rep. Hern, Kevin [R-OK-1]
- Rep. Cole, Tom [R-OK-4}]
- Rep. Davis, Rodney [R-IL-13]
- Rep. Palazzo, Steven M. [R-MS-4]